Tuesday 21 February 2012

Spearhead Hawaiian Style Pale Ale

The Spearhead Brewing Company hails from Toronto, Ontario.  Their signature brew is their Hawaiian Style Pale Ale, an interesting and punchy little brew that, according to their website, is brewed with pineapple.  I'm intrigued.

I enjoyed a pint on tap at a local eatery.  It arrived quite clear, with just a hint of cloudiness.  It was a ruddy copper colour with a thin ring of off-white head.  It left tons of lace behind after each sip.  Definitely an attractive mug o' suds.
The aroma is an interesting mix of hops and toffee sweetness.  Tastewise, this one moves from sweet to bitter.  The menu told me to expect pineapple flavour, but at first I didn't really pick it up.  I was definitely getting citrus, but the pineapple taste eluded me.  Still I was really enjoying it--bitter and brassy, with considerable sweetness.  Then I ordered a second one and the pineapple taste revealed itself to me.  It really is delightfully understated--this is not an in-your-face flavoured beer.  Rather, it is a pale ale first, with a subtle hint of pineapple essence.  Nicely done.

The beer is pretty interesting--it's got bitterness (the menu said 60 IBUs), sharpness, and sweetness to spare.  It is a touch too sweet for me to drink more than one or two in a go, but I'd definitely order it again and recommend it to a friend.  Intriguing.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment