Friday 23 September 2011

Rock Bottom Brewery-Saison Jonquille

While at Rock Bottom Brewery in Chicago, I also had occasion to sample their Saison Jonquille.  The brew weighs in at a weighty 5.6% alcohol and is rated at 28 IBUs.  The Saison is a faintly cloudy gold colour.  There is very little evidence of carbonation, but lots of lace.
I seldom have cause to order a saison.  It's not a style that I see all that often when I'm out and about.  I enjoy them well enough, particularly when they are a bit spicy, but they tend to be a bit malty for my tastes.  The Saison Jonquille had a rich, malty aroma.  It tasted extremely sweet with a fairly fierce maltiness and a slight floral taste.  It was slightly spicy, but not as much as I was hoping.  As with the rest of the beer, the finish was very sweet.
In all honesty, I wasn't wild about this brew when I first got it, but it was growing on me by the end.  I would consider ordering it again some time, if it weren't for the fact that Rock Bottom has a roster of other beers that I prefer.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment