Saturday 10 September 2016

Rickard's Red IPA

As I'm sure I have mentioned before, one of my favourite traditions involves the purchase of beer for the folks that help you move. One of my dearest friends needed help moving a sofa, and while I did it because I love him and would do anything for him, I also expected ale in recompense. My pal lived up to his end of the bargain in spades, and one of the brews I received as part of the exchange was one I'd not yet reviewed: Rickard's Red IPA.

Rickard's is a craft beer label belonging to macro brewing giant Molson Coors. Its Red IPA is a 5.7% alcohol grog sold in 473mL cans. It's a pleasant looking tawny red ale that pours clear, with a blanket of eggshell head. 

Brewed in a variety of cities across Canada, the Red IPA had an evergreen hops nose, backed by caramel malts. Its flavour was coppery, initially, with roasted malt notes. Behind that came a wellspring of hops of the woodland variety.

Rickard's has long been a beer that I consume in the absence of something more palatable and locally-brewed. Specifically, their Red Ale is an agreeably forgettable potion that inhabits sports bars and chain restaurants, serving their role when there are no micro alternatives available. True to form, but slightly more interesting, Rickard's Red IPA is is a relatively low octane version of a red India that could do in a pinch. It should be said that this ale is head and shoulders above Rickard's' other offerings, but also a weaker brew than the average craft red I. For a macro brew, this stuff is solid and enjoyable, but compared with the unrestrained hops blast and heady percentage of a micro take on the style, it doesn't fare as well. However, if faced with this stuff in a sports bar with a limited selection and where I intended to watch a big game, I'd select it without a second thought.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment