Tuesday 21 January 2014

Hopwired I.P.A.

Hopwired I.P.A. comes all the way from Marlborough, New Zealand. It's brewed by the 8 Wired Brewing Co., clocks in at a vigorous 7.3% alcohol, and is sold in 500mL bottles.


It's a strikingly clear reddish gold brew--surprisingly clear for an India Pale Ale. It pours beneath a very thick ivory head. A tangy hop aroma plays citrus fruit against subtle caramel notes. This stuff has a very unusual flavour--it's not exactly bitter, at least not in the traditional I.P.A. sense. The beer is highly hoppy, but in a sweet, almost candied way. Audacious and unusual, there are notes of citrus and even a bit of pineapple. Some caramel notes can be found in there somewhere, too. There is a bit of conventional bitterness, but it is clustered at the back end.


This stuff fits some of the traditional I.P.A. characteristics--it's hoppy and high in alcohol. However, in other ways, it's quite a departure.  It's clear and more tangy than bitter. If you're looking for an I.P.A. that's full of surprises, you can call of the search and pour yourself a mug of Hopwired I.P.A. Personally, I was intrigued, but I'm not totally convinced that I liked it enough to buy it again anytime soon.


Rating: 8.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment