Wednesday 19 December 2012

Moosehead Lager

Bam! Now I'm 28!

For my birthday, I decided to write about a Canadian macro-brewed beer that has been, and remains close to my heart: Moosehead Lager. Early in my drinking career, the Moose was a regular favourite. Of the beers that I enjoyed during my misspent youth, "Moose Green" is one of the few that has remained a refrigerator staple as my tastes have grown and matured.  Like me, Moosehead Breweries hails from the province of New Brunswick, though while I'm from Fredericton, it's of Saint John stock.

Moosehead Lager is sold in 341 green bottles and it contains 5% alcohol. It pours a pale straw colour. It's clear with a fair dose of carbonation and a white head. It has a grassy, grainy aroma and a mild, crisp flavour. Grain and grass are the main taste notes. There is a short, refreshing finish with a hint of bitterness.

A prototype for Canadian macro-brewed pale lagers, Moosehead offers no surprises, but it is reasonably well made and reliable. Compared to the other national brews, it fares quite well.  Compared to small batch, micro-brewed craft beers, less so.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment