Saturday 20 October 2012

Guest Post! Miles Davis' Bitches Brew

An awesome dude that I met in Albuquerque asked if he could write occasional guest posts on the ol' blog.  This dude is most excellent, with fine taste in beers and a similar outlook on life to my own.  Of course I said yes.  Here is his inaugural guest post:

First, a little about myself.   I am a professional, who currently resides in Dallas, Texas (USA).  I too am desperately trying to hang on to a modicum of coolness.  I met Ed in Albuquerque, New Mexico (USA) in 2008, while we both were serving a summer internship.  I got to know him through our mutual appreciation of good music and good beer.  For the past year, I have really enjoyed Ed’s blog.  I recently approached Ed about occasionally contributing beer reviews for beer that I think he may enjoy, and are only available regionally.  Just as Ed has helped me vicariously enjoy beer that is not available in my region, I hope that I am able to do the same for Ed and his readers. 
As for the beer I will be reviewing, I tend to gravitate towards IPAs and red ales in the summer months, brown ales in the fall, and stouts and porters in the winter.   I really appreciate a strong flavour profile in the beers I drink, so I tend to avoid mass market pilsners, and stick to beers so hoppy it feels like a punch in the mouth. 

I hope you enjoy my occasional reviews.

Cheers, y’all (it’s a Texas thing). 

Miles Davis’ Bitches Brew, is a limited edition Imperial Stout brewed by the Dogfish Head Brewery (Delware, USA) in honor of the 40th anniversary of Miles Davis’ game changing album of the same name.   I live near a gas station that has one of the best rotating beer selections I have ever seen.  Because I frequent the store so often, the clerk at the store lets me know in advance about limited edition beers that will be passing through.  Although at first I was hesitant to try this beer, partly because it was nearly $20 (USD) for a single 750ml bottle, my love for Miles Davis and my past experiences with beers made by Dogfish Head was enough to warrant a purchase.  

I poured the beer from the bottle into a goblet.  The beer pours thick, almost a motor oil consistency, with a very thin caramel coloured head.  It has a very sweet, almost burnt caramel scent.  When you taste it, it comes on like a strong and complex imperial stout.  I noticed that as the beer got to room temperature, the flavour profile opened up quite a bit, and you could taste hints of dark chocolate.  It is very heavy on the tounge, and you can definitely taste the toasted malts.  In addition to hops, this beer is brewed with gesho root, which is used in African beers in place of hops, and honey.  You can taste this on the finish.  The beer finishes very clean, and does not leave the slightly bitter aftertaste like a dark Russian Imperial Stout would.  It is on the finish you get a smokey honey flavor, and a slightly bitter flavour, which I think is the gesho root.  For being such a strong beer (9.0% ABV), you do not taste the alcohol at all.   

The purchase was well worth it, and the beer does live up to the album that it commemorates.  If you come across this beer, I highly recommend you try it, as it was produced in limited quantities and it was one of the best Imperial Stouts that I have had in quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment