Friday 26 August 2011

DAB

DAB (Dortmunder Actien Brauerei) is a dortmunder straight from the source, Dortmund, Germany.  I purchased a 500mL can.  It is listed at 5%.  DAB pours a yellow gold colour.  It is very clear and, though there is little head, there is considerable evidence of carbonation.

DAB is a beer that I used to drink in considerable quantities in my early beer drinkin' days. For whatever reason, I haven't gone back to it since early on in my undergraduate degree.  From what I remembered, it is a typical German pale lager-crisp, clean and unremarkable.

My recollections appear to be pretty spot on (which is noteworthy given the vast quantities of this little brew I used to put away.)  There is a clean aroma, with hints of something almost pastoral.  Hay, perhaps?  The taste has a slight yeasty quality reminiscent of bread, but beyond that, there isn't much else.  I really had to struggle to detect any discernible flavours (though that might be because I'm new at this).  The aftertaste is mildly bitter.
Overall, the beer is a bit thin for my taste.  It is rather watery and a bit short on flavour.  Still, there are definitely positives as well.  This beer is uncommonly drinkable.  It goes down almost like a light beer, but with slightly more body.  It is well suited to drinking in gulps rather than sips.  The high degree of carbonation makes it pleasantly tingly.  On a hot day, possibly after doing some yard work, you could do a lot worse than to reach for a DAB.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment