Monday 31 January 2022

Absacker Helles Lager

 Apparently Absacker is the German word for a nightcap, but despite that late night etymology, I enjoyed an early evening can of Absacker Helles Lager. Brewed in Toronto at Great Lakes Brewery, Absacker is a 5% pale lager brewed in conjunction with Brauerei Rittmayer in Hallendorf, Germany. The beer is sold in 355mL cans. It possesses a clear, straw gold colour and pours with a thin layer of bright white suds.

Absacker has a lovely grain and malt aroma reminiscent of baking bread. The flavour kicks off sweet and malty, and those elements remain throughout, though the back end is accented with a lilt of floral hops.

Light and sweet, with subtle a flavour, Absacker is a well-executed helles. I bought eight and I’m glad I did, because they kept me happy during a late-summer heatwave. Just too sweet, but otherwise grand.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment