Tuesday 18 October 2016

Victory at Sea Imperial Porter

Before leaving San Diego's Ballast Point Brewing, I wanted to be sure to try one of their dark ales, so I went with the one I thought had the best name: Victory at Sea Imperial Porter. Given its potency--10%--I had a sensible 8oz. pour. My beer showed up looking black, with some ruby highlights. According to BP's tap list, this big porter was brewed with vanilla and Caffe Calabria coffee produced in San Diego.


Mocha is the most obvious aromatic note. The beer smelled strong and sweet, with coffee and chocolate leading the way. To my palate, Victory at Sea was rich in roasted malts, coffee notes, and booze. Lots of vanilla, too. It moves from very sweet to slightly bitter, and left me feeling WAY mellow and pleased with myself.

Rich and full, but a touch too sweet, I found Victory at Sea to be an enjoyable, filling beer. The heavy use of vanilla in the process way a bit much for me, but the coffee flavours came through beautifully.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment