Friday 14 October 2016

Big Eye IPA


My good pal MM turned me on to Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits and their Grapefruit and Pineapple Sculpin IPAs. So when I found myself in San Diego, their Little Italy location was a must-see spot.



I arrived mid-afternoon with a powerful thirst and a hunger to match. While I waited for my shrimp tacos, I kept myself amused with a pint of Big Eye IPA, a 7% alcohol job. Served on tap, my brew arrived sporting a copper hue, relatively clear, and topped with a thin white head. The nose suggested a well balanced India Pale Ale, as it featured a goodly amount of woodsy hops as well as a sturdy malt streak. The flavour proved quite bitter, in favour of crackling dry hops, built atop a malty base.

 
Big Eye had to compete with pretty lofty expectations, and performed reasonably well. Less fruity and memorable than the Sculpins, but well built and solid. In truth, had I ready access to both choices, I'd likely buy more of the Big Eye, in spite of the fact that the Pineapple Sculpin in particular is a more interesting and higher-rated brew.

It should also be noted that my shrimp tacos were scrumptious.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment