Sunday 16 October 2016

Grunion

I did a fair bit of beery damage during my visit to Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits in San Diego, California. One of the beers I sampled was an APA called Grunion. Trying to be responsible, I limited my intake of the 5.5% brew to an 8oz. pour. The beer showed itself to be a cheery golden ale, with a slight haze and a white head. According to the tap list, this brew is a mosaic hop number and it won gold at the Great American Beer Festival in 2014. On to the beer!

Papaya and juicy, juicy mango were the dominant aromas on display in this brew. As for flavour, tropical fruit continued from bow to stern, culminating in an unexpectedly dry, bitter finish. This was a class ale--really fruity and fun, but seriously well made. Of the beers I tried at BP, this was the one that'd give the valedictory address.

Rating: 9.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment