Saturday 22 October 2016

Bolt Brewery Flight


After arguably making a mistake at San Diego's Bolt Brewery by ordering a strong and sweet double chocolate stout on a hot afternoon in Southern California, I opted for a flight of 4oz tasters for my next Bolt experience. The four I selected were Bolt's Hefenweizen, Loca Lemon, Hoppy Lager, and Deez Hops DIPA.

 
The hefe was a 4.2%, 13 IBU brew. It was somewhere between yellow and milky. It had a yeasty, tart nose. The flavour maintained the yeastiness, but not the tartness. It was actually a pretty mellow, mild-mannered little brew. I'd have liked a bit more oomph, but it was fine.
 

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

The Loca Lemon checked in at 5.3% and 13 IBUs. It was a pale, straw-coloured beer with little head. It had a lemon-lime soda scent--sweet and citrusy, with a slightly chemically aroma. It's flavour was along the same lines--very sweet, fizzy, and lemony. 

Way too saccharine for this guy to revisit, it was still a refreshing and interesting ale--something full strength for fans of radlers and shandies. It should be said that it was also wildly refreshing.
 

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

The third entry in my Bolt Brewery flight was their Hoppy Lager. A pale and fizzy golden brew, the HL was clear and packed a floral hops aroma. It had a thin, crisp mouthfeel and a moderately hoppy flavour. Dry through the finish.

 
Bolt's Hoppy Lager was one of the better offerings that I sampled during my visit to their satellite brewery. It was unique and innovative, although it not without its flaws. I did like the floral hops drive, though.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

The final entry in my Bolt Brewery flight was their formidable Deez Hops Double IPA. At 9.2% alcohol and 83 IBUs, this was a pretty jumbo brew. It was a clear and brassy India Pale Ale, and arrived with very little head.

Deez Hops had jumbo bitterness through the nose, with resinous, slightly sweet hops properties. Boozy and sweet initially, but bitter and bold to the finish, this was definitely my favourite Bolt beer that I sampled during my hour in their establishment. It was a tad sweet, but this was balanced against a juicy bitterness that sold me hard.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment