Monday 24 October 2016

.394 Pale Ale

During a lunch break from the conference I was attending in Southern California, I ducked down into the hotel pub for a bite to eat and some suds. The beer I chose was .394 Pale Ale, from San Diego's AleSmith Brewing Co. Given that this trip was my vacation, I opted for the 22oz draught of the 6%, 26 IBU brew.

Brassy and mostly clear, my beer arrived with a thin covering of white head. To my nose, there were lots of juicy citrus notes, some bitterness, and a touch of tinniness. That pattern was replicated in the flavour--fruity and hoppy, with nice balance. Tangerine notes make for a mellow ale.

I was surprised by the listing on the bar menu that this stuff had only 26 IBUs, because it seemed much more bitter. Very nice pale ale, and a good shoutout to San Diego legend Tony Gwynn. and his amazing 1994 season. This tasty brew proved to be a frequent companion during my week in San Diego.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment