Saturday 31 December 2011

Galt Knife Old Style Lager

Galt Knife is billed as a "Pre-Prohibition Style Lager".  I'm not sure whether or not it's truly evocative of the lagers of an earlier generation, but I do know that it is brewed by Grand River Brewing, hails from Cambridge, Ontario and comes in a 500mL bottle.  I also know that there is 4.4% alcohol content and that the label is not, to my eye, particularly visually appealing.
Galt Knife pours an amber/copper colour.  It has a thick, lingering head, moderate carbonation and moderate lacing.  It has a very malty aroma, with pleasant notes of brown sugar.  The taste is extremely metallic...drinking this brew is kinda like licking a penny.  It is quite bitter, but with an understated aftertaste.

This is an ok brew.  I'd like a bit more alcohol content, a bit more balance and a bit less metallic taste.  Still, it's a very attractive beer, and I like the idea of trying to recreate a historic style.  I'd probably buy this one again.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment