Wednesday 5 September 2018

Long Black

Long Black, from Picton’s 555 Brewing Co., is billed as “a deceivingly easy drinking black ale”. It’s brewed with Cherry Bomb Coffee, and clocks in at 4.5% and 55 IBUs.

My pint arrived looking black and opaque, with a thin cap of tan head. The beer had a profoundly coffee-soaked aroma on top of rich malt notes. The beer is quite bitter, owing more to coffee than to hops. As well, there is considerable representation of well-roasted hops, chocolate, and a streak of something sweet and floral. The copy on the tap list likened it to a hint of elderflower, which seems credible.

While I was sitting on the patio enjoying my pint, a guy at the table next to me was working on a flight and enthusiastically polished off all except Long Black, which he clearly did not enjoy. Given that I thought it was a pretty solid and enjoyable little ale, I can only conclude that this is a divisive offering. But if you’re in Prince Edward County and in the mood for a dark ale with some character, I’d say give it a spin.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment