Monday 17 September 2018

Gaslight Helles Lager

June is grilling season, and that means pale lagers are in my fridge more than at any other time of the year. On a Wednesday night, I found myself home alone and contemplating BBQing yellow summer squash, a daunting task I’d never before undertaken (turns out it’s easy and tasty as hell. To fortify myself for this culinary endeavour, I reached for a 473mL can of Gaslight Helles Lager, a 5.4% alcohol, 18 IBU brew from Toronto’s Muddy York Brewing Co.


This pale lager was yellow gold, clear, and topped with a cottony white head. It had a fresh, grassy nose, a cracking crisp mouthfeel, and a flavour that encompassed sweet grains and dry hops.

Billed as a Munich-style helles, Gaslight proved to be an uncomplicated and enjoyable beer with a few features that set it ahead of Joe Macro: (1) it has 5.4% alcohol and that extra tick isn’t frivolous; and (2) it doesn’t taste of corn, rice, or other tricky additives—I’d warrant that this German-style lager would comply with the Reinheitsgebot, Germany’s famed purity law of 1516. I’ve had better pale lagers, but if you’re in the mood for a satisfying golden bubbly beer, Gaslight is a fine craft alternative to the widely available macros. It won’t knock your socks off, but it’ll refresh the hell out of you.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment