Tuesday 11 September 2018

Country Brown Ale

Country Brown Ale is my second foray into the world of Lake on the Mountain Brewing Company. This 5% alcohol, 34 IBU brown ale comes from Prince Edward County, Ontario, and comes in 660mL bombers. The label features a classic red barn and made me pick it from among LotM’s offerings.

Dark brown with ruddy leanings, Country Brown poured with a quickly diminishing yet oddly persistent tan head. Roasted malts and toasted brown bread were the prevalent aromatics. As for the flavour, this nicely balanced number ambles between malt, molasses, and biscuit, with a short burst of dry hops to shut the barn door.

For me, brown ales are often a reliable barometer of a brewer’s skill. Remember, I don’t brew myself, so this may be pure fancy, but to me, a brown ale is easy to make but hard to make well. From a reviewer’s perspective, earning basic points is easy enough, but it’s a tricky style that shows imperfections pretty clearly. Based on the quality of Country Brown, and in the strength of only one other beer, I suspect that the folks at LotM are more than mere hobby brewers. This beer was tasty and balanced, with few knocks against it. Sure, I’d like to see higher integer preceding the %, and a few more IBUs, but the foundation of this ale is better that good—not too sweet, not flimsy, and not tinny. In short, this is a dandy brown ale. 

Interestingly, after I reviewed this ale, I checked out some of the reviews on the big beer reviewing sites just to see what other people were saying. This is not something I often do, because I trust my own opinions, but I was curious about this brewery I’d never even heard of. The reviews of this beer were sparse, but none was particularly complimentary. I’m not calling bullshit on any of those reviewers, nor claiming I know something they don’t (since I have little formal training and a lumbering palate at best). I just think it’s a good demonstration of the subjectivity of beer reviewing.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment