Friday 20 June 2014

Schneider Weisse Mein Nelson Sauvin

Schneider Weisse Mein Nelson Sauvin comes from Kelheim, Germany. It's a weizenbock brewed by Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn. This little gem comes in a 750mL bottle that looks a lot like it should house wine (in fact, the dude at the liquor store asked me if I wanted my wine in a separate bag). It contains a liver-quivering 7.3% alcohol. The bottle notes that this stuff can be cellared for later enjoyment", but regular readers will know that cellaring beers ain't my jam--I haven't got the patience for that nonsense.



This is a cloudy, sunny gold wheat beer that's vigorously carbonated and topped with a thick fog of white head. The aroma is fruity and gently tart. The mouthfeel is pretty silky for a well carbonated beer. The flavour is both mild and rich. It starts quite sweetly, though there is some hop evidence on display near the finish. The label told me to expect "pleasant and fresh grape-like fruitiness." There are some bashful grape notes as well as some breadiness and a smidgeon of banana.


All told, this was a lovely and unusual wheat beer. I found that there was some tartness on the nose that was lacking in the flavour. It's got ample alcohol content and comes in a large bottle. Definitely worth a try.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment