Tuesday 24 January 2012

Brew Brunswick-Home for the Holidays

I'm living in Toronto now, but I grew up in Fredericton, New Brunswick. Over Christmas, I had occasion to return to the "Picture Province" to visit my friends and family, and to make merry for a week.  As a new beer blogger eager to stretch my legs, I used the opportunity to sample some of NB's finer brews.

New Brunswick has two main microbreweries: the Pump House Brewery, of Moncton and Picaroons Traditional Ales (Northampton Brewing Company), of Fredericton.  Both of these breweries create exceptional suds and each has a significant national profile.  Both have been recognized as Canada's top brewery.  For such a small province, brewing culture is clearly alive and well in New Brunswick.

I arrived home thirsty and with big plans to review every local brew I could get my hands on.  Unfortunately, I don't think I fully succeeded in my mandate: there were just too many quality local brews for a short trip. However, I had a fun time, and I was able to sample some truly world-class beers.

In the coming days, the blog will be featuring the reviews generated during my time in New Brunswick--a province small in population, geographic area and wealth, but enormous in brewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment