Thursday 28 March 2019

Darkwood Blackberry Saison

I don’t know that my photo fully captures the contrast, but Darkwood Blackberry Saison is a jaunty purple-tinted, pale pink-headed ale that comes in terrifying 473mL cans emblazoned with a huge demon looming over a little kid. See? Contrast.


Darkwood comes, ostensibly, from Toronto, where it is brewed by Brassroots Brewing Co., though the can explains that it is brewed and packaged in Gravenhurst, Ontario. The saison has just 4.3% alcohol, 33 IBUs, and it’s brewed with blackberry purée. It has a dry, yeasty nose supplemented by a whiff of fruit. The flavour is yeast first, with only a hint of the eponymous blackberries. The beer is thin, but fizz-happy, and culminates in a dry finish.

Given its lurid bruise colours, I expected Darkwood to exhibit a too sweet and juicy blackberry element. However, to my delight, it was an understated and elegant addition to a low alcohol saison. The beer was a bit too thin, but otherwise I found myself onboard. Clearly a beer suited to summer patios, I found myself drinking it as a first beer during a mighty snow storm, but the seasonal dissonance didn’t detract one bit. The label promises that “Darkwood is the first of many unique and carefully crafted beers that we vow to brew.” Ok, Brassroots, you’ve got my attention. I’ll be looking out for more.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment