Tuesday 26 March 2019

Fickle Mistress

A 5.5% dry hopped sour, Fickle Mistress is raised in St. Jacobs, Ontario by the folks at Block 3 Brewing Co. Fickle Mistress comes in 500mL bottles with old-timey two-tone labels. According to the info on the side, my beer was bottled on November 13, 2018.

With a clear champagne colour and a cap of white fuzz, Fickle Mistress cuts an elegant figure. It has a tart strawberry scent, backed by a funky yeast fragrance. The flavour is quite mild for a sour, with berry and grape notes sitting in the driver’s seat. Riding shotgun, there is a bit of wild yeast, but not “wild” wild. Of the dry-hopping, I didn’t find there to be a whole lot of evidence or bitterness.

I though Block 3’s Fickle Mistress was a fair effort. Compared to their Frankenstout or Through the Quad, which I really enjoyed, Fickle Mistress was a little underwhelming. I genuinely liked the berry elements, but I wanted a bunch more funk or some more zealous hopping to take this beer to the next level. Still, as someone who drinks a lot of Ontario craft beer, I think the B3’s bottle shop in wee St. Jacobs is one of the as-yet-unvisited Ontario beer destinations I’d most like to hit up.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment