Saturday 13 December 2014

Polestar Pilsner

While on vacation in scenic Nashville, Tennessee, I had occasion to pick up a few bottles of Polestar Pilsner, built by the Left Hand Brewing Co., out of Longmont, Colorado. And since I was drinking a pilsner, my charming wife agreed to contribute her two cents.

This brew came in a 355mL bottle. It contains a slightly heightened 5.5% alcohol. According to the Left Hand wesite it contains 33 IBUs, though they say "IBU's", with an unnecessary apostrophe. It's a very clear, very pale, sunny straw lager with a luscious white head and tonnes of carbonation. It has a crisp and crunchy grain aroma.

According to my wife, this beer has a strong metallic taste on the front end, conventional pilsner flavour through the middle, and the aftertaste has a slight, hoppy kick. She says that she'd buy it, and, always one for evocative turns of phrase, described drinking this beer as "like kissing a mustachioed robotic bunny". I am deeply in love with my wife.

For myself, I found Polestar to have a thin body, but with substantial flavour. It starts slowly, with grainy malts, but really picks up steam with a well rounded and pleasing lager finish. It's dry and slightly boozy, with a bit of a metallic crunch. A pilsner with some balls, if we're being crude. I'd have liked a bit more presence early on, though.

Rating: My wife says 8.0 and I'm saying 8.5 out of 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment