Tuesday 18 February 2014

The Immortal IPA

The Immortal IPA comes from the hotbed of American hops (the "hop-bed, if you will), Seattle, Washington.  It's brewed by Elysian Brewing Company, sold in 355mL bottles, and contains 6.3% alcohol. The label looks to have the mighty had of a deity wielding a thunderbolt.


Immortal is a muted golden brew, slightly hazy, and topped with an off-white head. Its rich, bitter scent has notes of citrus, caramel, and floral hops. The mouthfeel is smooth, yet dry, particularly in the finish. It's a fairly well-balanced India Pale Ale. There are some caramel and malt notes early on, as well as a slight raisin flavour. The finish is hoppy and bitter, but in a fairly restrained way. Some notes of citrus appear in the close.


Given the bold name and the imposing label, I expected the kind of punchy west coast I.P.A. that strips the enamel off your teeth. Instead, I opened up a relatively subtle brew, with a bit of nuance and delicacy. At first, I was disappointed, but as I worked through my sixer over a few days, I grew to like it more and more.


Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment