Tuesday 4 February 2014

Grimross Rye IPA

I was home in Fredericton, New Brunswick over Christmas 2013, and I was pumped to learn that there is a new brewery in town--Grimross Brewing. More than than, I was fired up when I stepped into a new beer bar to watch a football game and found Grimross on tap. And then, I was ecstatic when I saw that one of the offerings on tap was a rye I.P.A., one of my very favourite styles.

The Grimross Rye IPA clocks in at 6% alcohol, according to the Grimross website. I had myself a pint on tap while I enjoyed a little pigskin. It arrived a swampy brown grog, topped with a healthy off-white head.  Its aroma straddles a divide between hoppy and yeasty. The flavour is likewise yeasty, particularly at the front end.  It isn't nearly as bitter or as spicy as some of the more pungent rye I.P.A.s that I have sampled--this stuff prefers to be subtly flavourful. This stuff flows from yeasty/malty to bitter, encompassing a faint but worthy rye spiciness. In finishes with some mild bitterness.

If you're in the mood for a jumbo, bitter rye I.P.A., then Grimross' version might leave you a touch disappointed. However, if you're down for a tasty, well crafted ale, this stuff might well be your speed. I definitely liked it.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment