Tuesday 25 June 2013

Petrus Aged Pale

The label on my bottle of Petrus Aged Pale declared that I was holding "The Key to Heaven".  Bold claim.

Petrus Aged Pale hails from Bavikhove, Belgium.  It's brewed by Br. Bavik and sold in 11.2 fl. oz. bottles. It contains a formidable 7.3% alcohol. P.A.P. is a cloudy, honey-hued brew with lots of carbonation and a thin cap of off-white head. According to the bottle, Petrus is aged "in oak barrels for over 20 months". It has a fairly striking sour aroma that also features a gentle backing of sweetness. A sharp, sour flavour really dominates this ale. It has an effervescent, champagne mouthfeel, which is quite pleasant. It's dry, with just a faint touch of hop bitterness near the close--I really enjoyed the finish of this beer.


I'm still trying to get a feel for sour beers. I find them intriguing, but unlike many other beer styles, I still don't really know what I'm looking for. Still, of the sour beers that I've sampled, Petrus Aged Pale was one of the most subtle and tangy. It was also considerably more refreshing than I expected it to be.  I say give it a go.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment