Thursday 27 June 2013

Dunham Black IPA

From Brasserie Dunham in Dunham, Quebec, comes Dunham Black IPA. Sold in 341mL bottles and containing 5.7% alcohol, this little beauty contains a staggering 95IBUs.  That's some seriously bitter beer! That said, there was less booze than I expected.


Dunham Black IPA is an alomost opaque midnight black brew, topped with the thickest, most unrelenting tan head I have ever encountered. This stuff was genuinely hard to pour--I'm not kidding--it took me the better part of ten minutes to get the bottle worth into my glass. The hop heavy aroma makes it abundantly clear that the hop plant is related to hemp. The rich flavour is highly bitter. Hops are dominant, but there is some molasses sweetness in the mix too. There;s a slight touch of black espresso near the finish.


A truly full-bodied black IPA, Dunham has a mouth-puckeringly bitter, but complex and interesting flavour. As with so many of the beers out of La Belle Province, this stuff is a winner with lots of character.



Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. This is the most bitter black IPA that I have tried. Fantastic. Dunham is really impressing me lately. Their APA is superb and they have a couple of really tasty saisons as well.

    ReplyDelete