Wednesday 3 August 2011

Wellington County Brewery -Dark Ale

Wellington County Brewery's Dark Ale dodged a bullet.  I hated it when I first tried it and I was all set to pan it, but I gave it another chance and was pleasantly surprised.  My first taste was during a house party, sitting outside on the patio on a sunny day.  Second go saw me smoking a cigar on a rainy evening.  Trust me--this beer is much better suited to the latter.
The Dark Ale is a handsome deep amber colour.  It is quite clear for a dark ale.  In short, a very attractive brew.  It weighs in at 5.0% and comes in 341mL bottles.  It is made by Guelph, Ontario's Wellington County Brewery, which purports to be Canada's oldest independent craft brewer.

The Dark Ale features a really nice head that lingers; it clings to the glass with each sip.  The taste is malty without being overpowering.  It has a strong aroma and there are faint notes of caramel.  The aftertaste is quite bold.  It stays with you in between sips.

Ale lovers should look into Wellington County's Dark Ale.  It is tasty served cold, but even better slightly chilled.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment