Monday 8 August 2011

Svyturys-Ekstra

One of the reasons I decided to start this blog was to learn more about beer.  Svytutys Ekstra provided me with two learning opportunities in one large bottle: my first Lithuanian beer and my first dortmunder.  Dortmunders are a subset of lagers.  They are slightly darker and sweeter than pilsners and are common to Germany and parts of Eastern Europe.  Having tasted Ekstra, I am thirsty for more.
Ekstra comes from Klaipeda, Lithuania.  It is sold in heavy 500mL bottles and has 5.2% alcohol.  According to the label, Ekstra is "Lithuania's most popular".  As a novice Latvian ales, I don't have much of a frame of reference though I did find this lively brew quite enjoyable.

Ekstra is very clear.  It is a yellow gold colour and features a foamy head that thins quickly.  It is not as crisp as I expected.  Rather, the taste was surprisingly sweet.  There is a faint hint of fruit, possibly pear.  The only real strike against it is the aftertaste, which is a bit stale.

Perhaps Svyturys Ekstra received an unfair advantage over other beers reviewed on this blog.  As I drank it, I watched my beloved Red Sox jump to a 7-2 lead over the hated New York Yankees, so I will
admit that I was predisposed to like it.  Still, ballgame notwithstanding, this was a tasty brew.  An interesting twist on the traditional lager and definitely worth a taste.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment