Tuesday 15 January 2019

The Brown Note

According to the copy, The Brown Note is “the brown ale to end all brown ales.” Further, the 16oz can decries: “Enjoy it,  because there’s no longer any reason to drink another brown ale.” Some seriously strong language from Louisville, Kentucky’s Against the Grain Brewery. I’m note so sure about their boasts, but I am confident that the poop motif makes these the most disgusting beer cans I’ve ever seen.

The 5% alcohol Brown Note is, nasty can notwithstanding, a handsome beer. It has a lovely dark brown colour and pours with a nice layer of cream head. The ale has a malty nose with nutty notes and a touch of toffee sweetness. The flavour has a sweet malt to hops progression with an emphasis on the former. There are nut, copper, and leather notes en route, and the finish, while not a hop bomb, does feature a pretty decent degree of hops balance.

I can’t imagine that I’ll be swearing off other brown ales, but I will give AtG some credit—The Brown Note is a damned tasty brew.

Many thanks to my l’il brudder for bringing me a can.

Rating: 9.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment