Wednesday 10 October 2012

Black Oak Pale Ale

Black Oak Pale Ale is the product of Toronto, Ontario's Black Oak Brewing Co. It comes in 341mL bottles and contains the standard 5% alcohol. The bottle tells me that this cheeky beer is "brewed with reverse osmosis water", whatever that means.

BOPA is a clear, deep golden colour and is filled with lively carbonation and topped with a moderate froth of white head. Aroma-wise, BOPA walks that admirable line between caramel maltiness and traditional hop bitterness. It has a rich flavour that starts sweetly with classic caramel notes before turning bitter. I'd class BOPA as an English-style pale ale due to its mild, malt-forward, caramel-toned body and its bitter backbone, but I'm not sure whether that's how Black Oak defines it.

There are no surprises here, but it's a very well-executed ale. I find myself buying it all the time and you should too.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment