Thursday 31 March 2022

3-4 More-Than-Triple, Less-Than-Quad IPA

 After watching my Raiders get absolutely upended by the hated team from Kansas City, I needed some strong medicine, so I reached for a 355mL can of 3-4 More-Than-Triple, Less-Than-Quad IPA. The beer, easily the most hyphenated I have ever reviewed, is an 11% bruiser from Toronto’s Great Lakes Brewery; a celebration of GLB’s 34th anniversary. The big beer is brewed with both oats and wheat.



I expected 3-4 to be hazy and was surprised when it poured a nearly clear copper colour with a thin but durable off-white foam. The beer had a potent sweet peach and citrus nose. The flavour was extremely sweet, with peach and caramel notes early on and a still-sweet, candied grapefruit finish. Not a lot of evident bitterness, though I suspect that the IBU number is fairly significant—it’s just dwarfed by strength and sugars. The beer is undeniably boozy and is best sipped slow.

This a fun celebration beer, but not one that I’d be particularly inclined to crack open on a school night. It’s too strong and too saccharine for more than occasional sipping and, having enjoyed one and purchased three more, I’m not certain that I’ll be in a rush to load up on any more. Liked it, but didn’t love it.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment