Wednesday 30 June 2021

Just the Sandwich IPA

 

Just the Sandwich IPA from Whitby, Ontario’s Town Brewery has one of the province’s cutest labels—the 473mL cans are decorated with a friendly, anthropomorphic 8-bit burger. The 7.2% beer itself is a hazy, dull orange colour and it pours with a durable chapeau of off-white foam.


To my nose, mango and orange juice are the primary scents, along with something a bit sticky and resinous lurking. The flavour is initially very sweet and juicy, with OJ and tropical elements to spare. Toward the back end, there is some boozy heat, citrus hoppiness, and an unfortunate plasticky note that rubbed me a bit the wrong way.

Overall, I liked Just the Sandwich, from its excellent strength to its adorable packaging. However, the off note in the finish hampered my enjoyment. The initial fruitiness was well-executed, but the back end was not to my taste. This isn’t an instance where an off-note spoiled an otherwise good beer, but it is one but for which a decent beer could have been excellent. Truthfully, too, I noticed the issue less as I sipped each of the six cans I bought.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment