Wednesday 2 June 2021

Apex


 A beefy triple IPA from Baysville, Ontario, Apex is a 10% bomb from Lake of Bays Brewing Co. Sold in 473mL cans, Apex contains Amarillo and Simcoe hops, is dry-hopped with Barbe Rouge and Galaxy, and is supplemented with pineapple juice concentrate. The near clear beer has an orange-amber colour, pours with a thinnish off-white head, and clocks in at 55 IBUs.

Unsurprisingly, pineapple notes are a big part of the aroma, but there are also tart peach and sticky resin notes. The beer bounces from sweet to tangy, with tropical fruit notes throughout. As for bitterness, it’s there in a citrus and resin configuration, but those elements play second fiddle to juice and booze.

Truthfully, I wasn’t wild about Apex. I found the juice and tang were over-emphasized, making it a bit overwhelming. I’d probably buy this again, but I don’t see myself seeking it out.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment