Friday 14 August 2020

Paniza Premium Pilsner

Paniza Brewing Co. hails from Toronto, Ontario. Seemingly kicking off their operation without a bricks and mortar location, it appears that Paniza is contract brewing to start, though a quick google search didn’t turn up where their beer is made and I didn’t bother digging any deeper. The first Paniza offering I came across was their Premium Pilsner, 473mL cans of which are sold in the LCBO. The cans feature an astronaut and the motto “out of this world”. Weighing in at a standard 5%, Premium Pilsner is billed as a German-style pilsner, and it checks in at 25 IBUs. 


Clear gold, nicely carbonated, and topped with a white foam, this certainly looked convincingly pilsner-like. The beer has a grainy aroma accented with fresh hop notes. The flavour proved to be highly agreeable, with a measured blend of noble hop and grainy malt elements, and a timid honey subtext.

I really enjoyed my lone can of Premium Pilsner and wished I’d had the foresight to purchase a second. It isn’t exactly crisp, but the flavour manages to be light and delicate, with some subtle substance. I’d have liked it to be more vigourously bitter, but otherwise I was pretty impressed. I’ll be keeping my eye out for future Paniza offerings, because this one was quite solid.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment