Thursday 2 January 2020

Northern Touch Kveik Lager

For my second round at Toronto’s Laylow Brewing, I opted for a pour of their Northern Touch Kveik Lager. A 5% lager, NT showed up hazy and golden, with a layer of white fluff and a toasty, earthy aroma. Behind that are vaguely tart, fruity esters.


The beer has a flavour is at times sweet and dry, with some woody notes in for the trip. Mostly, though, it’s a yeasty little offering with a slightly winey trend. At the furthest reaches, there was just a hint of smokiness too. The mouthfeel isn’t thick exactly, but it’s definitely sturdy.

My first foray into the marriage of kveik yeast and lager, I found Northern Touch left me feeling mindful. It’s flavour profile was unusual, but definitely agreeable. Not at all crisp, the beer was satisfying in a different sort of lager way.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment