Sunday 8 September 2019

Portuguese Vacation!

Fans of the Bitter World:

You might have noticed a pause in my regular posting over the last little while. I've been in Portugal for the last eight days. Usually, I try to queue up a handful of posts to account for a vacation, but this time around, there was too much other stuff going on in my life and I decided not to worry about the blog.


Portugal, as it turns out, is a spectacular destination. Known for fortified wines and other vinos, I wasn't sure what to expect from its beer scene. What I found was a widely available beer scene that was pretty generic, but pockets of excellent craft beer that, when sought out, left me quite impressed. During my eight-day stay, I found IPAs, pilsners, dark lagers, barrel-aged funksters, and porters aplenty. And the beer-drinking culture should be mentioned, too: draft macro beer was available nearly everywhere food was sold, and it was consumed with gusto. Beer drinking seemed to be a mealtime necessity, but in my experience it was seldom pursued to inebriation.


Stay tuned to the Bitter World for the next couple of weeks for a cross-section of some of the more interesting beers that I sampled during my trip to Portugal.

Felicidades!

No comments:

Post a Comment