Tuesday 24 September 2019

Creature IPA


My final installment during my trip to Lisbon’s Dois Corvos was their Creature IPA, which was recommended to me by the gent behind the bar as the most bitter of the five IPAs on offer that day. At 60 IBUs, the brew isn’t paint-strippingly bitter, but it has some heft, aided by the 6.8% alcohol. My 40cL glass was filled with a largely clear, handsome gold liquid and topped off with a layer of white suds.

Creature had an aroma that toed the line between pine and citrus. That balance was likewise reflected in the flavour, which also tied in some biscuit elements. Primarily, though, evergreen and grapefruit were the movers and shakers driving this I.P.A. 

To date, the most bitter and “American-style” ale I’ve tried in Portugal, Creature had a decidedly West Coast vibe that would been cozily at home in Portland or San Diego. I found the beer well-made and flavourful. Not necessarily memorable on its own, but as a memento of our trip, I suspect it’ll be one of the liquid touchstones I’ll carry home with me.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment