Wednesday 12 June 2019

The Boss East Coast IPA

Syndicate Brewing Co. is, apparently, a mob-themed brewery from Niagara Falls, Ontario. I picked up a 473mL can of their The Boss East Coast IPA (it also says “Family Edition”, but I’m not sure if that’s a part of the name of the beer). The can features a shadowy mobster who happens to look a lot like Mr. Ackroyd from Blues Brothers.

The Boss is a 4.5%, 40 IBU session IPA. It’s a sunny golden brew with a wild amount of carbonation. As a result of the mighty fizz, the beer pours with a mountain of fluffy white foam. It has slightly metallic, floral aromatics and a flavour that is relatively punchy, with bitter perfume notes and a bit of evergreen.

Despite a theme that I found a bit cheesy, I found The Boss to be a decent enough session IPA. I’d have preferred that the front end had a bit more character and depth, and as a result, the beer might not really distinguish itself in a market where every brewery makes a session IPA. Still, it’s definitely good enough that I’d buy it again, and I’ll keep my eye out for other offerings from Syndicate.

Rating: 7.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment