Sunday 30 June 2019

7Squared New England IPA

Born and raised in Niagara-in-the-Lake, Ontario, and sold to me by my local grocery store at a rate that wasn’t exactly extortionate, but was certainly more than I’ve come to expect to pay for a 473mL can of Ontario ale, The Exchange Brewery’s 72 New England IPA is a 7% 71 IBU brew. An orange-gold hue and a thick cover of sudsy white head make for an attractive looking beer.

To my sniffer, notes of orange mingle with a touch of sticky resin. The flavor is juicy, with citrus steering the ship, and balanced against a pretty respectable howl of bitterness toward the back end.

The beer tasted pretty good to me—well balanced with an eye to a closing note of bitterness that avoids the trap of over-sweetness that can plague NEIPAs. The strength is admirable, and the flavour agreeable. A bit too pricey to enter into my regular rotation, but The Enchange Brewery’s 72 is one I’ll enjoy as a periodic treat.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment