Wednesday 30 September 2015

Tricerahops Double IPA

Eugene, Oregon's Ninkasi Brewing Company scored a Stout Man twofer with its Tricerahops Double IPA--two things I can't resist--a strong IPA and clever name. So, naturally, I ended up with four 12oz. bottles of the stuff.

At 8%, Tricerahops has some muscle but isn't like that 'roid rage monster at the gym who folds bricks for fun. It's an opaque orange grog crowned with a durable inch of off-white fog. 

I was battling a cold when reviewing Tricerahops, but my sub-optimal sniffer was easily able to detect sweet, fruit aromas as well as dank hops. Raisin, booze, and sticky bitterness were the big tastes. 

Like certain strong IPAs, this one toyed with being too sweet for comfort, but fortunately, on video review, it managed to keep its feet in bounds. I have had better Double India Pales, and Tricerahops doesn't offer much to separate it from the pack, but it certainly was an agreeable ale. An ale I'd buy again without hesitation.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment