Monday 21 April 2014

Red Rocket Chili Stout

Red Rocket Chili Stout comes from Gravenhurst, Ontario's Sawdust City Brewing Co. It's a spicy, 5% alcohol stout, deeply dark black brew topped with a svelte tan head. It has a mild, chocolatey aroma with a dusting of capsicum pepper pique. I had a pint on tap with a buddy at one of my favourite Toronto beer bars, and he graciously agreed to share his thoughts for a review.

My buddy found the Chili Stout to be an overall light stout that hits chocolatey first, with some spice hitting you a bit later. He said that it was almost refreshing by the end, and that he'd definitely drink it again.

Buddy gave this stuff an 8.0 out of 10--he'd have rated it higher if the alcohol percentage was higher.


For me, I found it to be an unusually spicy brew. It kicks off with some rich chocolate and transitions into a delightfully spicy jolt. The heat stays with you long after each sip. The finish is bitter, but only slightly. The mouthfeel is quite thin. I'd have liked a higher percentage and a touch more bitterness, but overall, I found this to be a pretty charming brew.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment