Monday 5 November 2012

Muskoka Dark Ale

Another entry from Bracebridge, Ontario's Muskoka Brewery, the Muskoka Dark Ale pours a deep brown with a reddish gleam and a lusty tan head. It comes in 473mL cans, and has an alcohol content of 5%. The aroma is sweet, with caramel and molasses as the dominant notes.  It's a malt forward ale with notes of caramel and biscuit. There was also a slight burst of tartness that felt a bit out of place, but was oddly enjoyable. A hint of bitterness closes the door.

The can told me to expect chocolate, but I didn't taste it at first. By the end of my pint, I knew exactly what they were talking about. There is a faint chocolaty undertone.

Muskoka Dark is a tasty brew. It's very attractive and has an interesting flavour. There's a lot going on--it's pretty nuanced.  I've really been enjoying the whole Muskoka line of beers.  This one isn't quite up to the outstanding level of their Mad Tom I.P.A., but it's pretty enjoyable.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment