Sunday 22 March 2020

Foxtail Zwickelbier

Foxtail Zwickelbier is Avling’s take on the classic German kellerbier derivative. This Toronto lager is a 5.1% brew sold in 355mL cans. I picked up a can at the brewery during my first visit and I held onto it for a couple of months before cracking it.

The beer is a ruddy brown with a thinnish cream head. It has a malty, toasty, and sweet nose. The flavour is pretty large, with some peat smokiness, ample malt, nutty elements, and a decent hops back end.

Zwickelbier isn’t a style I have loads of familiarity with, but if Foxtail is any indication, I could get behind trying more. Foxtail was darker than I expected. It was flavourful, with some best bitter characteristics blended with big, traditional German lager vibes.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment