Tuesday 31 March 2020

Blackfriars Bridge Stout

Brewed in honour of a London, Ontario landmark, Blackfriars Bridge Stout is a 6% ale, built by the Toboggan Brewing Company. The beer is sold in 473mL cans festooned with its namesake bridge. Inside resides a near-black liquid that pours with a hearty tan head. This brew came to me via my ol’ pal WFM—thanks lad!

Blackfriars has a sweet, malty aroma with notes, with elements of cocoa, coffee, and bitter molasses. The beer has a thick mouthfeel and a rich flavour, with notes that start sweetly and swing to bitterness. Roasted malt kicks things off along with chocolatey elements. The back end gets a bit grittier, with decent hops presence and a java hue.


A fairly strong, copiously flavourful stout, Blackfriars was a nice introduction for me to Toboggan Brewing. I’ve got another of their beers, a double IPA, queues up to review, but I’ll be keeping my eye out for more of their offerings.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment