Friday 1 June 2018

Alpha Acid

During an afternoon of beer tourism in Victoria, BC with my father-in-law, we ducked into Hoyne Brewing Co. for a flight. Of the four brews I sampled, my favourite was Alpha Acid IPA, so I left with a 650mL bomber of the 6.3% ale. A pale golden affair with a slight haze and a fluffy white head, Alpha Acid has a slightly floral, vaguely metallic scent. The flavour is perfumed, dryly floral, and agreeably piney.

It’s not as assertive as a traditional West Coast IPA, but Alpha Acid had a collection of subtle flavours that worked nicely. I could have used a bit more in the way of IBUs and booze, but I liked the crisp, refreshing nature of this brew. The magic in this ale isn’t in unique or unconventional flavours, but in quality crafting and subtlety.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment