Friday 26 January 2018

Road 2 Ruin Double IPA

While waiting for a 33rd birthday scavenger hunt from the legendary Bitter Wife, I was sent outside with a 16oz can of Road 2 Ruin Double IPA and told to chill for 25 minutes. Fair enough!

R2R comes from the Two Roads Brewing Co. of Stratford, Connecticut. It’s a heftily-weighted Double India sold in snazzy packaging that features, among other things, a snake bearing a hop. 

The beer inside is emboldened by the judicious use of seven strains of hops. It has a a slightly hazy copper cast and pours with a lush layer of off-white suds. A nicely rounded aroma has fruit notes vined around some darkly floral notes and a splash of sweetness. For so strong an ale, the flavour is uncharacteristically mild, with stone fruit notes up front and a slightly bitter backing band to close it out.

To my birthday-addled mind, this beer was alarmingly approachable for an 8% ale. There are no real warning signs once the beer is poured of the boozy might, which is both an exercise in brewing skill and a risky little game. One could very well up in ill-intentioned ruin by following this Road. Given the hops braggadocio declaimed on the 4-pack I purchased, I expected R2R to bitter my timbers. However, while undeniably well-healed in booze, I found the IBU count surprisingly low on palate if not on paper. While that isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it did leave me clamouring for hops bops.

My expectations were not entirely met by R2R. However, what I ended up with was a delightfully quaffable strong ale, rich in flavour but subtle in zeal. So where does that leave us? Would I buy Road 2 Ruin again? Absolutely! Would I recommend it? Ditto. But it’d come with a healthy caveat that it is deceptive and duplicitous. A good beer with a hidden bite. I’m also a sucker for excellent packaging, and this stuff was wrapped up real nice.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment