Saturday 6 February 2016

My Bitter Birthday--Madra Allta India Pale Ale

According to the label on its 355mL bottle, the "madra allta" in Madra Allta India Pale Ale comes from the Gaelic for wolf. Brewed and bottled by the Lavery Brewing Company, this 6.4% alcohol ale comes from Erie, Pennsylvania.

It's a dull, swampy brown beer--cloudy and with a creamy head that had some admirable longevity. To my nose, there are notes of tart citrus and resin. It's a sweet brew with a nice emphasis on malt, particularly for the style. As for bitterness, this manifests in politely resinous and tangy citrus elements. The label said that there would be pine notes as well, but I didn't find any worth writing about.

A touch on the sweet side, this ale isn't perfect. However, it really is v. good. A bit of a unique flavour in a world of very similar IPAs makes a beer memorable. I'd love to get my hands on a few more of these beauties, but alas I only had the one.

Rating: 8.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment