Thursday 16 May 2013

My Bitter Wife IPA

As many of you know, I am a recently married man.  Fortunately for me, my wife is not particularly bitter (she's more of a lovable grump), so the name of this brew didn't really speak to me directly--except to the extent that I'm drawn to any beer that uses the word "bitter".  My Bitter Wife IPA is an India Pale Ale brewed by the good folks at Great Lakes Brewery in Toronto, Ontario. I had a pint on tap at my favourite neighbourhood watering hole while out on the town with my brother. According to the beer list at the bar, the brew has 7% alcohol, but I'm not sure if that's an exact number.

My Bitter Wife arrived a hazy, copper-gold ale, topped with an ample head. It had a big hop aroma built around a sweet, peachy body. The flavour is likewise hop-heavy, with some bitter evergreen notes. The real treat of this brew is the understated but undeniable peach notes that are woven in around the bitterness. MBW manages to be very fruity without being cloying.  This makes for an interesting spin on the conventional I.P.A. formula.

Bitter, boozy, and featuring an interesting flavour, this is a fine I.P.A. It's probably a bit too sweet to have more than two in an evening, but when my glass was empty, I eagerly called for a second. This stuff is quite excellent to sip and savour.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment