Thursday 21 March 2013

Great Lakes Robust Porter

Great Lakes Brewery in Toronto, Ontario is the source of the Great Lakes Robust Porter. I wish that I had a suitable picture of the bottle that this formidable brute came in--a 750mL slugger topped with a red wax seal.  Very impressive.  The beer itself is impressive too--an onyx colour that allows almost no light through and features faint ruby highlights and a thick fog of tan head that you could eat with a spoon.

Notes of prune join coffee and chocolate in the nose. The flavour is replete with dark chocolate and some dark fruit. It is at times sweet, but also backed by a menacing espresso bitterness. I can't recall the alcohol content, but given the warmth associated with this brew, I've got to think that it is by no means anemic. Fans of bold dark ales will enjoy this one--I certainly did. (bolstered by a cigar at sundown.  Bliss.)

Rating: 9.0 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment