Saturday 4 March 2023

Layback

When I picked up a duo of 473mL cans of Layback from Wellington Brewery in Guelph, Ontario, I didn’t realize that the 5.5% brew was made with guava and coconut flavour. I might not have bought ‘em had I known, but when I opened the fridge later that night, my curiosity got the better of me. The bright golden ale is brewed with Sabro hops, which are a critical darling, but probably my least favourite out there, as well as oats, and it contains a respectable 45 IBUs.



Through its bright white head, the beer has extremely sweet coconut aromatics—something akin to a drinkable sunscreen. The flavour has a tropical, piña colada kind of energy, with ample coconut and a less assertive fruitiness. The beer has a particularly agreeable smooth and juicy texture.

Layback isn’t really the kind of beer for me. In fact, it doesn’t really taste much like a beer at all, and certainly less like an IPA. But, it is undeniably refreshing, kinda fun, and rather beachy.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment